The toughest decision one has to make while going for a one day tour in Agra is whether to revel in the beauty of the Agra fort and Taj Mahal or discover the secrets of Fatehpur Sikri. However for most, the scales usually tip towards the Taj Mahal and the Agra fort. Both of them are located within a very short distance of each other and most of us can walk from one site to another.
But if you are all set for spending only one day in Agra you should give up the idea of travelling by trains and auto rickshaws. While booking the train tickets can be a hassle, haggling with the auto rickshaws for the day’s rent can be extremely time consuming. It has been recommended by thousands who have visited Agra for just a day to hire an outstation cab from your destination. The cabs can be hired for 24 hours at a minimal price from your home, like you can book Delhi to Agra taxi.
So what are the compulsory inclusions in your one day itinerary?
- It takes about 4 hours to reach Agra from the city center in Delhi in a car with an experienced driver. So make sure, your car picks you up by 6 am in the morning. You can stop on a roadside dhaba for a tasty meal of local paranthas.
- It is a wiser choice to opt for the Taj Mahal since it is less crowded in the first hours of operation. This has been referred to a poetry in marble in many places. Constructed by Shah Jahan in memory of Mumtaz, this is a spectacular example of Mughal Architecture. The walls are adorned with jewels and calligraphic writing. This is located on the banks of Yamuna.
- After visiting Taj Mahal you can directly go to Agra Fort. This was constructed in 1565 AD by Emperor Akbar. There are other marvelous architectural splendors like the Moti Masjid, Musanman Burj, Diwan-e-Am and Diwan-e-Khas. This became a gilded prison for Shah Jahan in his late life.
- Sikandara fort likes around 10 km from Agra. This is another sample of Mughal architecture that took the world by storm in the 16th This is the mausoleum of Emperor Akbar. This marks the start of a new era of architecture in India with a unique combination of Persian minarets with Hindu elements.
- The entire tour takes about 7-8 hours and by 5 pm it is possible to proceed back to Delhi. You can complete your dinner at one of the many dhabas on your way to Delhi.
These cabs can also be booked for direct airport pickups if you are in a serious time crunch. Travelling by outstation cabs eliminates the need of stopping for directions and looking for intermediary transport in Agra. One day trips can be a wonderful experience for anyone if you have the right kind of transport to set your mind at ease about commute and security on the national highways joining the two cities.